Author Topic: Tennis Thread  (Read 1070 times)

Offline James Lofton

• Matt Hardy
  • You want a Dusty finish?
    • View Profile
Re: Tennis Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:27 pm »
2. why it's entertaining?
Different strokes for different folks, but women are the ONLY reason this sport is so mainstream. In the 70s and 80s men dominated it, and it was a wart on the ass of mainstream sports. In the 90s when Hingis, Kournikova, Williams sisters,etc. hit the stratosphere, people started paying attention.

Same thing can be said for gymnastics. Nobody cared until athletes like Mary Lou Retton, Comaneci, Moceanu, Miller,etc. hit the scene.

Same thing can be said for track and field. Marion Jones brought the spotlight on that sport.

Same can be said for soccer. Soccer in the US was NOTHING until Mia Hamm.

If its not football, basketball, or baseball, it requires **** to sell it to the masses. Fact.
I have wined and dined with kings and queens, and I've slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans.

Offline Gnrfan

• Hulk Hogan
  • Hey i've won it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14:03 am »
I still think that although Federer is an all time great, he isn't the greatest and he has played in kind of a shitty era of tennis with not much competition.

That is a ridiculous comment D. Shitty Era? are you joking? Sampras, Agassi, Borg, McEnroe are among the players who have said that this is the great top 20 of all time. We have grand slam winners outside the top 30. The top 7 players now (Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Roddick, Tsonga) are all incredible players. 6 out of those 7 have been to at least one GS final and the one who hasn't is only 20. 4 have won GS. 5 of the 7 have to consider themselves unlucky they are around in an era with Federer and Nadal coz they are probally 2 of the greatest that will ever play the sport.

I'm not saying Federer is the best although its hard to argue otherwise (only Laver can really stay with him) but to say this is a shitty era of Tennis is simply wrong.... its probally the greatest if not the 2nd greatest.

I think a problem is that the top 5 (i include Del Potro) are so young you are judging them well to early. Guys like Nadal, Murray, Djokovic & Del Potro are ahead of guys like Sampras and Agassi at the same points of their Career.... Nadal is miles ahead of both of them and with one more GS will be joint with Agassi 10 years ahead of Agassi! Thats how good Nadal is. The truth of the matter is there are more potential winners of the GS these days that any other Era. I mean this upcoming US Open..... Federer has won the last 5 i think but would be certain he'll win again? i wouldn't.
This is how it works, You're young until you're not
You love until you don't, You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry, You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe, Until their dying breath

"Give Youth A Chance"

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 12:00:53 am »
Anyone else been watching the US Open?

I've been trying but only seen bits here and there, hoping to get into it properly in the next day or two.

Caught Querney's match with Yani last night, quite an enjoyable spirited affair, Yani considering his ranking did well and held his own for good parts of the match.

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »
Well there are benefits to be off work, seen the Federer vs Berdych match, great to watch, and quite the upset, looking forward to watching Murray now!