Author Topic: UFC Thread  (Read 9692 times)

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
UFC Thread
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:56:38 pm »

Main card
Heavyweight Championship bout: Champion Brock Lesnar (3-1) vs. Interim Champion Frank Mir (12-3)
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (18-2) vs. Thiago Alves (16-3)
Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson (24-7) vs. Michael Bisping (17-1)
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch (18-3) vs. Paulo Thiago (11-0)
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-1) vs. Alan Belcher (14-5)

Preliminary card
Light Heavyweight bout:  Mark Coleman (15-9) vs.  Stephan Bonnar (11-5)
Lightweight bout:  Mac Danzig (18-6-1) vs.  Jim Miller (13-2)
Welterweight bout:  Dong Hyun Kim (11-0-1) vs.  TJ Grant (14-2)
Light Heavyweight bout:  Jon Jones (8-0) vs.  Jake O'Brien (11-2)
Middleweight bout:  C.B. Dollaway (8-1) vs.  Tom Lawlor (5-1)
Lightweight bout:  Matt Grice (9-2) vs.  Shannon Gugerty (11-3)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:36:56 pm by Hammy »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
Re: UFC Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:57:18 pm »
Coleman and Bonnar should be on the main card. That is crazy it isn't.

I cannot wait for this. This is the WM of MMA cards right here.

Join TSC MMA fight camp and compete against others on the net. Its like Powerslam Predictions only MMA:

Go to MMA section for details!

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:31:39 pm »
Coleman and Bonnar should be on the main card. That is crazy it isn't.

I cannot wait for this. This is the WM of MMA cards right here.
It should.  I don't care what state they may be in now Bonnar is 50% of the most important match in the history of UFC, and Coleman is a staple of the early days, on a historic show like this it should be on, its fitting.

I suppose the positive is Dana is showing they care about the future, and they aren't going to ALWAYS choose names over quality because:

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch (18-3) vs. Paulo Thiago (11-0)
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-1) vs. Alan Belcher (14-5)

Those 2 fights have fighters of the future (potentially) anyway, they just don't have the same drawing power, its a tricky one.

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »
u hit it on the head

they have the drawing power already on the card and are using it as a vehicle to showcase newer fighters to a large audience.

I say the bonnar/coleman fight will be shown anyway unless all the fights go to decision.
Join TSC MMA fight camp and compete against others on the net. Its like Powerslam Predictions only MMA:

Offline timothy

• Matt Hardy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 04:07:40 am »
Can't wait for this ppv. should be a awesome night of fights.

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:40:57 pm »

Main Card
Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian
Light Heavyweight bout: Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin
Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Ricardo Almeida
Lightweight bout: Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellegrino

Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley
Welterweight bout: Tamdan McCrory vs. John Howard
Middleweight bout: Thales Leites vs. Alessio Sakara
Welterweight bout: Matt Riddle vs. Dan Cramer
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. George Roop
Welterweight bout: Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:27:07 am by Hammy »

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »
Penn and Florian should be a classic.  Many people think Kenny has a better chance than he does because of Penn getting demolished by GSP, but remember, GSP is in a league of his own, Penn should definately take this fight.

Griffin has been drafted in to make Anderson Silva look entertaining again.  Griffin isn't as reckless as he once was but he isn't going to be running scared like a certain guy who's been demoted to prelims was.

Finally Amir Sadollah is going to fight, he has been unlucky with injuries, hopefully he gets off to a winning start.  I'm also hoping Almeida can get back on the winning track, I'd expect him to against the inconsistent glass jawed Grove.

Neer and Pellegrino could steal the show.  Both very fast paced fighters with slick submissions, Neer has been a joy to watch and win or lose he always brings it!

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 03:21:25 pm »
I think Anderson wins via UD

Anderson Silva has beat NOBODY

Seriously this dude is overrated as hell. Travis Lutter IMO kicked his ass and if he had any kind of gas tank, i think he beats Anderson.

Rich is a great fighter but just a bad matchup, like Ortiz vs Liddell, some guys just have a style u can't beat. That is Rich with Anderson

Dan Henderson also beats Silva if he hadn't gassed as he dominated the first round.

Silva has beat Chris Leben  WOW, James Irvin  WOW,  Patrick Cote.. WOW  Leites I think it was who was in over his head.

Forrest is bigger, stronger and his cardio will give Anderson problems.

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »

With UFC 100 less than a week away, Spike TV is presenting a five-part special, highlighting the 100 greatest UFC fights in history, as voted on by the fans.

Voting was done over at Spike.com (Ultimate100.spike.com) or by clicking here. Fans were able to choose their top 100 fights from an extensive list of bouts selected by the UFC and Spike TV.

Each episode of “UFC’s Ultimate 100: Greatest Fights” will count down the top 100 with clips and highlights from each contest. The first one-hour installment (Part 1) will premiere tonight, July 5 at 9:00pm ET.

The next four episodes will air:

Monday, July 6 at 9:00pm ET (Part 2)
Tuesday, July 7 at 9:00pm ET (Part 3)
Wednesday, July 8 at 9:00pm ET (Part 4)
Saturday, July 11 at 9:00pm ET (Part 5)

Saturday’s final episode will serve as a lead-in to the UFC 100 pay-per-view event.

I'll have to check this out (via a torrent site), it'll be interesting to see what people choose, I remember the voting for it was awhile back on the website, hopefully it won't be all modern fights and people will remember many of the early classics like the Couture vs. Rizzo battles.

Offline Axl4Life

• Shawn Michaels
  • Staring At The Face of Adversity..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:23:43 pm »
After landing 40 hammerfists to the side of Randy Couture's head in a November bout, Brock Lesnar seized the Ultimate Fighting Championship's heavyweight crown and the moment. The chiseled 6-3, 280-pound former Gophers wrestler climbed onto the cage and saluted the crowd.

Celebrities such as rapper 50 Cent, Philadelphia Phillies slugger Ryan Howard and actress Mandy Moore cheered. Lesnar's wife, a former Playboy Playmate, jumped into the octagon and planted one on him. UFC President Dana White placed the gold belt around his waist and later paid him $450,000 for one night of work. Nearly 15,000 in the stands and more than a million via pay-per-view watched his triumph.

But by Sunday morning, Lesnar had left the glamor of Las Vegas to return to the solitude of his 40-acre ranch. There, he farms corn with the help of a brand new tractor, a return to his roots -- he grew up in tiny Webster, S.D., on a struggling dairy farm. Days later, he'd packed up his gear and left for a hunting trip.

Lesnar resides two hours west of the Twin Cities in Alexandria, Minn., which is about five times larger than Webster with a population of 11,000. He leaves in a few days for Las Vegas, site of his first title defense against Frank Mir, the only man who has defeated him in four previous pro mixed martial arts fights.

Mir and Lesnar have top billing on Saturday night's UFC 100 card, which could shatter every mixed martial arts PPV record.

Lesnar once again will perform for thousands, just a day ahead of his 32nd birthday, before hopping on a plane and returning to the desired isolation Alexandria provides. Although he's worth millions and has been one of the biggest draws in athletics over the past decade, he chooses to live like the J.D. Salinger of sports

Lesnar emerges once or twice a year to punch, kick, knee and wrestle a predetermined foe for a half-million bucks and extras that likely include a portion of the UFC's PPV revenue. The bulk of his time is spent in Alexandria, or "Alec" as the locals call it, where few would expect to find a man who earned the monicker "the Next Big Thing" in the WWE, after winning a national wrestling title at Minnesota in 2000.

"I'm not a big spotlight kind of guy, and if I was, I was probably faking it before," he said. "I'm content with my family and my life right now and the way my career is going. Nothing more, nothing less."

Living in Alexandria offers him limited exposure. The address posted on his nondescript private gym is missing a zero, and its yellow siding is faded. A gate outside of his home thwarts unwanted attention -- as if he's not enough of a deterrent by himself.

You won't find Brock Lesnar on Facebook or Twitter. He doesn't own a computer and shuns the Internet. He hates TV and only occasionally turns on the nightly news or the Outdoor Channel.

Odd for a man whose three fights earned 2.2 million PPV buys last year and who partially owes his status as a household name to the media he detests. The fan base for the UFC, which topped boxing and pro wrestling with $230 million-plus earned through more than 5 million pay-per-view buys in 2008, has grown since Lesnar joined the organization last year. With a victory over Mir, he arguably will become the sport's biggest name.

"Obviously, Brock Lesnar has really broke onto the scene," White said.

Some of Lesnar's peers resent the way the UFC has catered to and compensated its new star.

"Up until two years ago, I had a full-time job on the side," said Mir, who became a legend when he snapped a man's arm during a 2004 bout.

Hollywood producers have called Lesnar's camp with dozens of offers, but he has turned them all down. His contemporaries, however, take advantage of the UFC's booming business.

Couture, one of the company's biggest names, just wrapped up production on "The Expendables," which will feature actors Sylvester Stallone and Jet Li. Chuck Liddell has appeared on HBO's popular show "Entourage." Gatorade has a two-page ad featuring Georges St. Pierre in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.

"Just about everywhere I go, I take pictures and sign autographs," said Couture, who lives in Las Vegas.

Alexandria is a straight shot northwest on Interstate 94. Locals embrace every element of small-town America.

Big Ole, a 28-foot Viking statue, is its most prominent structure. The local state rep lists his phone number on a billboard.

A display outside of a jewelry store reads: "Let Kyle serve you." A traffic sign warns motorists: "Slow. Goose Crossing."

Lesnar left the Twin Cities for Alexandria last year, a move that allowed him to live closer to a 7-year-old daughter from a previous relationship. But it also gave him a sense of solace, something he'd never found in the WWE.

After Lesnar won the NCAA wrestling title in 2000, he didn't know what to do. He didn't have any money. And he hated school. That's when World Wrestling Entertainment President Vince McMahon offered him $250,000 and a multiyear contract, answering any questions he had about his immediate future.

"Here I was wondering how I was going to buy myself a beer and a steak after the national tournament, reaching down and pulling out lint," Lesnar said. "It was pretty easy. Go with a sure thing. And the sure thing at the time was becoming a pro wrestler."

Lesnar quickly rose in the world's most lucrative pro wrestling operation, becoming the organization's youngest heavyweight champ at 25. Some reports suggest that he left the WWE midway through a seven-year deal worth $45 million, but others put the figure between $1 million and $2 million per year over a three-year career.

With the fame and money, however, came a self-destructive lifestyle, involving late nights, alcohol and pain killers. He says his weapons of choice were Vicodin and vodka.

"You're in a different city every night," he said. "You can be whoever you want to be. You can sit in your hotel room and rot to death or you can go out and ...  just use your imagination. And I didn't use my imagination, I was living it."

Lesnar continued: "Really, I was a young man, 22 years old. Bank accounts overflowing and everything else."

For the first time in his life, Lesnar didn't have to worry about money.

John Schiley, a wrestling coach in Lesnar's hometown of Webster, S.D., mentored him from the time he was a youth all the way through high school. He said the family bills weren't always paid. Sometimes, Lesnar borrowed Schiley's torch and welder to make his own toys.

"They never had the capital or equity enough to get 'em going," he said. "And every day was a day to try to buy milk and keep the family fed."

With a Mercedes, a Hummer, four houses and a private plane, Lesnar had pulled himself out of that poverty. But he didn't have any peace. And he felt like everything was working against him, illustrated by the tattoo on his chest, which depicts a knife pointing toward his neck.

After leaving pro wrestling and failing to make the Minnesota Vikings roster in 2004, however, Lesnar found his calling, while pursuing a new profession.

Lesnar and his guys

One by one, the brood of bruisers, all standing at least 6 feet tall and weighing 250 pounds and up, file into Lesnar's gym. Inside, there's a series of rubber mats, free weights, tires and an ice bath. Eerie paintings of armored warriors and dogs in the midst of battle make it clear that combat soon will take place.

Lesnar walks to the center of the room. The fighters stop what they're doing, stare up at him and don't dare interrupt.

"The landlord called and the place is not in good shape," Lesnar says in a calm but frustrated tone about the condition of the rental property he leases to accommodate his crew before a fight. "I'm responsible for that house. If you break something, tell me. My name is on this."

"Yes, sir," replies Eric Prindle, a former Army boxer with a 6-4, 300-pound sculpted frame. Then, UFC fighter Chris Tuchscherer -- a 6-2, 265-pounder with a 17-1 record -- raises his hand. "I'll take care of it," he said.

Lesnar pays the assortment of brawlers, some of whom have come from as far away as Arizona, to help him train for his fights. Some of the fighters have legit credentials and offer Lesnar stiff competition in sparring sessions.

Others, such as former Gophers wrestler Cole Konrad, aren't sure mixed martial arts is for them. Lesnar brings Konrad in anyway to give him a boost while he tries to figure out his next move, after recently failing to make the Vikings roster, an experience the two share and discuss.

Lesnar lured his former wrestling coach, Marty Morgan, from his post as an assistant at Minnesota and pays him to oversee his training. His mixed martial arts coach, Greg Nelson, runs a gym in the Twin Cities. Lesnar tries to make sure that everyone in his tight circle benefits from his success.

Insiders admire Lesnar's loyalty and work ethic. Those close to him also say that Lesnar is outgoing and humorous when he's around people he trusts.

"They've got my back and I've got theirs, too," he said.

Privacy is the policy

Lesnar doesn't bend when it comes to his personal privacy. He won't let media snap photos of him on his ranch. He won't say what he named his newborn baby.

His barber wouldn't talk about him because he hadn't gotten Lesnar's permission to do interviews. When he grabs a beer in Alexandria, patrons keep their distance, unless Lesnar invites them closer.

"He usually comes in with his sparring partners and his training group," said Chad Meyer, owner of Fat Daddy's, which will air Lesnar's fight against Mir on Saturday. "For the most part, people leave him alone."

Lesnar said he's become a homebody because he's had to deal with "shady" people throughout his life. As a kid in South Dakota, Lesnar didn't gain support from an abundance of people. But when he became famous, Schiley said, he had to stay in his wrestling coach's basement to escape whenever he came home.

"There were people that didn't think much of him who were his very best friends then, but he knew the difference," Schiley said

His extremely private nature hasn't necessarily enhanced his image, created by an off-the-cuff persona. Lesnar said he's "built like a black man," before offering this response to questions about his physique in a May Maxim interview: "God gave me this body: Are you jealous of it or what?"

Lesnar's shoulders sit atop his torso like a camel's humps. His biceps are shaped like pythons. His neck is as wide as a barrel.

During his 2004 NFL tryout, he reportedly put up better bench press numbers than Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the 2006 No. 1 overall draft pick. Lesnar graduated from high school weighing less than 210 pounds. But by the end of two years of junior college, he'd packed on 60 more.

Many have questioned whether his ability is natural or manufactured. During an ESPN interview last year, Lesnar took off his microphone and walked away when he was asked about steroid allegations. He always has maintained that he never has taken any performance-enhancing drugs.

"I've taken every random drug test I possibly can," he said. "That must mean I've never taken anything."

Thought it was an interesting read.

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:15 am »
AWESOME. thanks for posting this. Great read.

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:25 am »
Red hot heavyweight prospect Junior dos Santos (8-1) expects his next fight to come against Pride FC 2006 Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (25-6-2) at UFC 103, which is slated for the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, Texas, on Sept. 19, according GracieMag.com.

“Cigano” was today mysteriously scratched from a previously announced showdown opposite Justin McCully at UFC 102 on Aug. 29. Perhaps we now know the reason.

Here’s a snip from dos Santos:

“They took me off the August 29 show. My opponent’s changed. I’ll probably face Cro Cop. If I beat him I’ll be in really good standing. If that’s truly the case, I’m guaranteed on the main card and in the main event of the evening. If I were to fight now it wouldn’t be on the main card…. To me it’s incredible. When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”

The heavy-handed Brazilian knockout artist burst on the scene with an 81-second knockout of Fabricio Werdum — widely considered at the time a top player in the division — in his debut for the promotion at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” back in October.

He most recently felled the Dutch “Skyscraper,” also known as Stefan Struve, via technical knockout (strikes) in just 54 seconds at UFC 95: “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” earlier this year. The Team Nogueira-trained fighter has never been beyond the first round in his professional career, finishing his all of his opponents (with the exception of one) with a mix of submissions and (technical) knockouts.

That could all change if he does indeed opt to go toe-to-toe with the devastating Croatian striker.

“Cro Cop” most recently competed at UFC 99: “The Comeback,” making a return to the Octagon to defeat British heavyweight Mostapha Al-turk in controversial fashion — an inadvertent eye poke that was missed by the referee led to a first round victory.

Prior to the win, Cro Cop has struggled mightily since coming stateside to compete inside the Octagon. Despite a win over Eddie Sanchez in his promotional debut back in 2007, Cro Cop would go on to lose back-to-back fights to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, putting his UFC career on ice at the time.

He vowed to return, and did, but it appeared that he was on his way out the door again after UFC 99 when a miscommunication regarding his contract status cropped up between him and company president Dana White.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta reportedly came to the rescue, flying out to Zagreb to personally talk to Filipovic about another possible UFC return. The pair sat down and talked for two hours at Cro Cop’s house. And when it was all over, Fertitta apparently boarded his plane with a huge grin plastered on his face, saying that he made Cro Cop “an offer he can’t refuse.”

Perhaps part of that deal was headlining a show against a top prospect such as dos Santos, which would more than likely position him among the handful of title contenders who have emerged over the course of the last 12 months if he can notch another victory.

This guy is going to give Cro Cop a lot of problems, it's definately a chance for Cro Cop to prove he is still relevant.

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has found a temporary home for its live programming in the United Kingdom (UK) after an abrupt end to its partnership with Setanta Sports, according to The Sun.

One of the biggest shows in mixed martial arts history is set to go down on July 11 when UFC 100 blows up the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Fans across the pond will be able to watch it on Sky TV (channel 433).

On the main card will be one of the UK’s biggest stars, Michael Bisping, as he collides with opposing Ultimate Fighter coach Dan Henderson to determine a possible number one contender for the UFC middleweight crown.

In wake of the financial collapse of Setanta Sports, there was speculation that a home for the upcoming live broadcast would not be found in time for the big show, forcing fans overseas to wait for “The Count” to appear via tape delay.

While Sky has a nine-hour window of UFC programming to accomodate Saturday’s big event, a permanent home for live events has yet to be announced.

Starting with UFC 80 back on January 19, 2008, the Ultimate Fighting Championship struck a deal with international sports broadcaster Setanta Sports to bring the UFC to millions of homes in the United Kingdom.

Setanta operates in Great Britain, Ireland, Luxembourg, the United States, Canada and Australia and provides premium sports television channels on a subscription basis, including its multi-year deal with Zuffa.

That deal recently eroded due to the financial instability of Setanta.

Unfortunately the dissolution of some of its English Premier League rights left Setanta strapped for cash and on the prowl for some emergency funding. A complete and utter collapse in operations — which would effectively blackout any and all UFC programming in the UK, had been reported as inevitable.

It was unknown if UFC 99, scheduled for June 13 in Cologne, Germany, would even make the airwaves in the UK until just a day before the broadcast, jeopardizing the momentum of Zuffa’s Europe expansion.

Now it looks like the UFC isn’t taking any chances with its future programming as they consider a new partnership from six different networks including Virgin 1, Sky Sports, Bravo and ESPN.

Though a long term deal would likely begin with UFC 101, Virgin 1 is reportedly the lead candidate to air UFC 100 prior to that.

An announcement is expected shortly.

Great news! We are getting it, they left that late...

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 03:29:53 pm »
Can't wait for this ppv. should be a awesome night of fights.

Hell yeah, I am excited as ****

did u see the Countdown to 100 show? Makes me want to see this even more

My only problem is, I love Brock and Mir about equally. Would be like watching Slash and Axl fight.....

i don't get much enjoyment either way.

Offline D

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Break dancing baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:27 pm »
After his last performance, i was hoping to never have to see him in the UFC again.

sends a bad message to the other fighters when u let a guy **** u over and then just waltz back in.