Author Topic: Football Thread (Soccer to the American fan...)  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
Football Thread (Soccer to the American fan...)
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »
Well we needed a thread like this, I'm shocked we didn't have one sooner.

Well since the season is getting closer, who is your team, whats your outlook?

I'm Burnley born and bred, but from a young age when I began watching Football I fell in love with Newcastle, my heart has always been with them, but living in Burnley, I had a season ticket there for a few years as a kid, it was only £35 and I worked there as security for a bit.

Having been in seperate divisions I have always been able to support both, I say support, but back Newcastle with all my heart and hope Burnley do alright is what I mean.  Last season I was hoping Burnley would get promoted and my beloved Newcastle would survive so next season I could see Newcastle play at Burnley...

Oh well that wasn't to be, Newcastle went down and things are a total mess, with things up in the air we could quickly become another "Leeds".  As for Burnley, its pretty cool all the big teams will be coming to my town, I may try and catch a match or two and I hope they do well, last season it seemed across the country they became popular as the underdog team, with a small squad and little money that play exciting football, that was the same reason I fell in love with Newcastle back in the day, the exciting football, Kevin Keegan's, bollocks to defending, if you score 3 we'll score 4 attitude.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Rankin

• Shawn Michaels
  • aka Slash666
    • View Profile
Re: Football Thread (Soccer to the American fan...)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:03:56 pm »
I fell in love with Newcastle

And I thought we were friends.... :'(

I'm on the complete other spectrum to Hammy, I'm a Sunderland fan born and bred. Always have been and always will love my hometown club. I had a season ticket at the Stadium of Light for 3 seasons afew years back (2 in the Championship and 1 in the Premiership) but didn't renew after I was 16 because I couldn't get the cheap Under-16 season ticket and thus couldn't afford an adult one.

Things are looking up for us, at the end of the season we were taken over by an American Multi-Billionare, Ellis Short. So we are now in the best financial health we have ever been in and we have a new manager (Steve Bruce) who is capable of getting big signings for us and forming a team that could push for European football. Fans here are really optimistic around here right now because for the first time ever we have an ambitious manager & a Chairman (Niall Quinn) who is even more so due to his history playing for us.

We are the only North-East team still in the Premiership due to Newcastle & Middlesborough being relegated. Now I will admit I was happy to see it happen but I will definately miss the Tyne-Wear derbys. People outside of the North-East don't realise how much football means up here, and you always here "Spurs/Arsenal or Man Utd/Man City is the biggest derby in the country" but I honestly don't buy that for one second. Unless you have been to a Tyne-Wear derby you just can't imagine how truely amazing and emotional each match can be for not only the fans but also the players, its like a cup-final to us. Its a shame that afew fans of both teams try to ruin it with violence, but that is how emotional some get about it.

I believe personally that no one else is to blame for the demise of Newcastle than Newcastle themselves. Firstly, the control of a club should never be allowed to go to a fan who has no experience in football whatsoever. Secondly, alot of Newcastle fans got SO far ahead of themselves to the point they actually believed they we're among the elite clubs in Europe (Trust me, I go to Newcastle College) and that they would never get relegated (which is why I think it will actually help them by giving them a reality check).

And Middlesborough, well they are perhaps the most lifeless/dull team to exist...If you've ever been there you know what I mean. Just nothing is interesting about them, they never really showed any ambition hell their manager said half way into the season that they would probably get relegated. Alot of Leeds fans have said that playing us was a better derby than Middlesborough (who is one of the closest teams to them).

Anyway, we have high (but realistic) hopes for this season, we're very much optimists heres.
This post was brought to you by:

Harley Davidson

The only motorcycle worthy of being in the octagon!

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »
Saturday, 25 July 2009, Friendly Match, Leyton Orient 6-1 Newcastle.

:'(

...Help

Incidently Mr. Sunderland  :gtfo:

Offline Rankin

• Shawn Michaels
  • aka Slash666
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:11:22 pm »

...Help

:rofl:

Harley Davidson

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »

...Help

:rofl:
It broke a streak of friendly wins over Huddersfield, Darlington and Shamrock Rovers, all is not lost  :Yay: (Well not quite...)

Offline More Cowbell

• Shawn Michaels
  • First Powerslam/ WWE Game grand slam champion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 04:58:33 am »
Being an american and not too familiar with your soccer can you sum up how teams get promoted or demoted and what not and how many major leagues do you guys have?
1st Fan in Fanclub of Hammy don't repeat as world champion. You can do it GNR Fan

Offline More Cowbell

• Shawn Michaels
  • First Powerslam/ WWE Game grand slam champion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:01:21 am »
Also do u bloats hate that bastard david beckham as much as we do.  Seeing that guy too washed up for his own league coming to the usa for the money and only the money seems a step in the wrong direction for MLS
1st Fan in Fanclub of Hammy don't repeat as world champion. You can do it GNR Fan

Offline Rankin

• Shawn Michaels
  • aka Slash666
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 01:52:17 pm »
Being an american and not too familiar with your soccer can you sum up how teams get promoted or demoted and what not and how many major leagues do you guys have?

In England, we have alot of leagues but the best league that everyone aims to be in is the Premier League aka the Premiership. This is the league with teams like Manchester United, Chelsea & Arsenal ect. Down from that you have the Championship (the second tier of English football) and then League 1 & League 2. I can definately see how it can be confusing :hihi:.

RE: Promotion/Relegation - In the Premiership teams play 38 games per season, every league below that they play 46 games. How teams get relegated is at the end of the season the 3 teams with the lowest amount of points go down into the Championship and to be promoted the top 3 teams with the best points go into the league above them (1st & 2nd guarenteed the 3rd team is the winner of a set of play-off matches between the 3rd-6th place teams). Although once you're in the Premiership you can't be promoted any to any higher in the English league, but the top 5 teams in England get to play in European competitions the next season.

Sorry if thats confusing, hopefully someone can explain it abit easier.  :hihi:

Also do u bloats hate that bastard david beckham as much as we do.  Seeing that guy too washed up for his own league coming to the usa for the money and only the money seems a step in the wrong direction for MLS

Myself personally, I don't hate him. I wouldn't say he is washed up he just needs to be in a league that is better suited to his style of play and the MLS is alot slower pace the the English league. No doubt he done it for the money but your forgetting the major advantages were for LA Galaxy & the MLS, the amount of money they play him is probably half of the money they will be making off his shirt sales, merchandise & sponsorships. It has benefits towards all three partys, Beckham & LA Galaxy financially & the MLS has grown in popularity and viewership.

You can't really fault the guy for going out on loan to Milan, he wanted to keep his fitness up during the end of season in USA while also helping his chances of getting called up to play for England in the 2010 World Cup which is to footballers like the Superbowl is to NFL players. Ultimately if the fans are angry, they shouldn't be mad at Beckham but at LA Galaxys management who allowed the loan to happen.

People think Beckham is past it but he still can change a match instantly, hell last week he was responsible for both of LA Gaaxys goals against AC Milan. His loan stint at Milan is also another example, multiple Man of the Matches in a very high class league.

Harley Davidson

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:13:42 am »
R.I.P. Sir Bobby Robson

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:02 pm »
Against West Brom tonight, no new signings, no proper manager, things aren't looking good, and chances are we are breaking out the worst away kit EVER!

Offline Rankin

• Shawn Michaels
  • aka Slash666
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
Not a very good match, by God that club is a shambles.

In other more greater news, Sunderland have signed Darren Bent for £10m! Great signing.  :shakeshout:

Harley Davidson

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:52:58 pm »
We were bad no doubt about it.  Guiterez is the worst NUFC player since Laurent Robert and at least Robert could take fantastic free kicks.

A new hero was born though, Krul stepped in for the injured Harper and did a fantastic job!  As Gary Lineker said "Newcastle snatch a point thanks to Krul & The Gang"  :smoking:

Offline AtariLegend

• Shawn Michaels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 01:54:37 am »
Espanyol Captain Daniel Jarque Dies Of Heart Failure
Football has been dealt another tragic blow...

Newly-appointed Espanyol captain Dani Jarque was found dead in his Coviciana hotel room tonight.

The centre-back is said to have suffered from heart failure some time after returning from training during Espanyol's pre-season tour of Italy.

The tragic news came only one month after the player - who had spent his entire professional career at the club - was appointed captain of the Parakeets.

Jarque's death comes two years after the death of Sevilla's Antonio Puerta, who collapsed on the field during his team's Spanish league match against Getafe.

The news was officially confirmed on the Liga side's official website.

From: http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/...f-heart-failure

-R.I.P.-  :(
Why drink, when you can drive?

Offline Rankin

• Shawn Michaels
  • aka Slash666
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:31 pm »
Tragic news which for some reason is becoming much too common in Football these days.

RIP.

Harley Davidson

Offline Hammy

• Administrator
  • Hulk Hogan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
3-0! Ameobi, we'll be back in a season  8)